Okay, so you’re 100% sure you don’t want the metal train tracks (aka braces), after all, you don’t want yet another reason not to smile in photos! But is Invisalign treatment as easy as Orthodontists say it is? Here’s 5 secret hacks from our experience with thousands of Invisalign patients to help you breeze through your Invisalign journey:
- Vinegar is your friend! Have you heard of common household hacks for cleaning around the home, like using bi-carb soda to get rid of that fridge odour? We’ve got a simple household hack to keep your Invisalign aligners sparkling. There’s no need to buy expensive aligner cleaning solutions. Grab a glass, fill it half way with vinegar and then fill the rest of the way with plain tap water. Soak your aligners for 20 minutes (perhaps while you’re eating breakfast), rinse them off, and you’ll have sparkling clean Invisalign trays.
- Super smooth: If you’ve ever cut a piece of plastic then you’ll know the edges sometimes aren’t always smooth. The same applies to the edges of your Invisalign aligners. If you find them a bit rough on your gums, then pull out your nail file and give those edges a quick once over until they feel nice and smooth. Unlike braces where you may have to regularly apply balls of wax to keep them from hurting your gums, polishing the edge of your Invisalign aligner is a permanent smoothing solution. Goodbye discomfort and hello straight teeth.
- Ditch the gum for mints: Chewing gum whilst wearing Invisalign aligners can get you into a sticky situation. Ditch the gums for sugarfree mints if you’re looking to freshen up your breath. Mints also have a secret benefit for Invisalign wearers. Biting down on the mint while wearing your Invisalign can also help push and the aligners onto the teeth for a tighter fit. The more your aligners fit snuggly, the faster your treatment goes. Make sure they are sugar free!
- Sing in the shower!: Besides being very entertaining for your housemates, singing in the shower actually helps your tongue get used to the Invisalign aligners more quickly. And the sooner your tongue is ok with these aligner trays, the sooner your speech gets back to normal. For most people it only takes a few days to adjust, so belt out those tunes!
- Make up don’t break up: If you’ve had a big night out and forgot to wear those Invisalign aligners, don’t give up. Simply wear your aligners for longer than your Orthodontist has prescribed, until they fit snuggly. Don’t move to your next set of aligner trays until this set has done its job. Don’t worry, there’s always time to make up what you might have lost if you forgot to pop in those trays.